Below is a repost of a Briggs article written by Mary Madison, RN, RAC-CT, CDP, Clinical Consultant, Briggs Healthcare.
Yes, you read that right. CMS posted the draft version of the MDS 3.0 Item Set that we were to start using October 1, 2020 but a couple of events in particular prompted CMS to remove v1.18.1 back on March 19th:
- CMS is delaying the Minimum Data Set (MDS) 3.0 v1.18.1 release, which had been scheduled for October 1, 2020, in response to stakeholder concerns:
- Concerns regarding the proposed changes to the MDS 3.0 item sets and
- More specifically the removal of the Section G items from OBRA assessments
- COVID-19 (contained with the blanket 1135 waiver):
- CMS is delaying the release of updated versions of the Minimum Data Set (MDS) needed to support the Transfer of Health (TOH) Information Quality Measures and new or revised Standardized Patient Assessment Data Elements (SPADEs) in order to provide maximum flexibilities for providers of Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs) to respond to the COVID-19 Pubic Health Emergency (PHE).
- The release of updated versions of the MDS will be delayed until October 1st of the year that is at least 2 full fiscal years after the end of the COVID-19 PHE. For example, if the COVID-19 PHE ends on September 20, 2020, SNFs will be required to begin collecting data using the updated versions of the item sets beginning with patients discharged on October 1, 2022.
Late in the day on Friday, May 15, 2020, CMS posted this notification (I’ve added the bolding and italics):
“In response to State Medicaid Agency and stakeholder requests, CMS has updated the MDS 3.0 item sets (version 1.17.2) and related technical data specifications. These changes will support the calculation of PDPM payment codes on OBRA assessments when not combined with the 5-day SNF PPS assessment, specifically the OBRA comprehensive (NC) and OBRA quarterly (NQ) assessment item sets, which was not possible with item set version 1.17.1. This will allow State Medicaid Agencies to collect and compare RUG-III/IV payment codes to PDPM ones and thereby inform their future payment models.
The changes to the technical data specifications that support these modifications are contained in the Errata v3.00.4 which can be accessed in the file: MDS 3.0 data specs errata (v3.00.4) Final 04-30-2020 in the Downloads section below. Supporting materials including the 1.17.2 Item Change History report and the revised 1.17.2 Item Sets can be accessed in the file: MDS 3.0 Final Item Sets v1.17.2 for October 1 2020 zip also posted in the Downloads section below.
Please confirm with your State Medicaid Agency if your State will be requiring the calculation of the PDPM payment codes on the OBRA assessments when not combined with a 5-day SNF PPS assessment.”
The final Item Sets (v1.17.2) are found in this .zip file; the data specs errata are found here. The Change document in the .zip file shows these changes that are found with v1.17.2:
Please continue to watch this blog website for more information. I am presenting a virtual lab session followed by live Q&A during the AAPACN Annual Conference June 3 through the 5th. That session (also my session on NHSN COVID-19 LTCF Reporting Requirements) will be recorded and posted to the Briggs website, along with corresponding handouts. I’ll blog again to let you know when the sessions are available for you to listen to on demand. We’ve got you covered!!
Want to keep up with the changing COVID-19 situation in skilled nursing?
please keep me posted on changes
Hi Connie, have you signed up for our upcoming MDS webinar yet? Mary Madison with Briggs Healthcare will cover important updates on the MDS 3.0 Item Sets. You can register for it here.