With all the changes 2013 brought to the long-term care industry, 2014 promises to be a year of even more…let’s say…evolution. While change always is accompanied by a healthy dose of uncertainty, it also brings new opportunities to build our relationships, improve our businesses, and advance the cause of better resident care.
As we look back over the last year at SimpleLTC, it’s easy to see some significant progress in our company, which we believe has also benefited our 2,000 customers across the country.
It’s hard to keep the list short, but here are some key SimpleLTC moments from 2013:
- 10,000,000th MDS submitted. In December, we surpassed a significant milestone: in our 10th year of business we reached the 10 million mark in the number of MDS assessments submitted to CMS. To celebrate, we hosted a customer appreciation sweepstakes with some cool prizes, just in time for the holiday.
- SimpleAnalyzer™ launched. In October, SimpleLTC launched the first-of-its-kind tool for UB/MDS analytics and reimbursement optimization. SimpleAnalyzer™ is a web-based tool for optimizing and “scrubbing” UB and MDS files, which also allows users to leverage the collective intelligence of reimbursement experts all over the country. The buzz about this new product has been significant and it’s already in use at multiple facilities.
- LeadingAge Ignite presentation predicts future. At the LeadingAge Annual Meeting and Expo, SimpleLTC Chief Technology Officer Jason Jones took the stage to share insights on how collective intelligence, big data, and the “perfect storm” of technology and regulation signal big changes for healthcare.
- New MDS workflow introduced. A new visual workflow that makes tracking the MDS upload, transmission and final validation process simpler was added to SimpleMDS™ in September. Customers applauded the change and reported that it improved their workflow.
- 9,000,000th MDS submitted. In July, we surpassed 9 million MDS assessments submitted to CMS. All the new customers brought on board during the year have increased the pace of submissions, and we’ve made sure our systems are ready for the volume.
- Texas Medicaid workshop draws AANAC attendees. In May, SimpleLTC partnered with the American Association of Nurse Assessment Coordination (AANAC) and several Texas long-term care experts to present “Texas Medicaid Demystified” at AANAC’s Annual Conference. The standing-room-only crowd of more than 100 attendees proved the value of this topic in Texas!
- SimpleLTC quickly integrates new Texas PASRR process. Texas skilled nursing facilities were hit with new challenges in May when Texas’ Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) drastically overhauled the Pre-Admission Screening and Resident Review (PASRR) process. All Medicaid-certified Texas facilities were affected (70%+ of which are SimpleLTC customers). SimpleLTC responded quickly to implement the new requirements into SimpleCFS™, allowing our 700+ Texas customers to seamlessly manage the new PASRR/PL1 process. We also created a PASRR Resource Center to educate SNFs and smooth the transition.
- New CMS security model challenges providers. Beginning in March, a CMS security change added new limitations for all CMSNet (Verizon VPN) users. After the change, users could no longer access any network resources — including printers, files, network drives, or the Internet — during the MDS transmission and reporting process. The added hassle and slower workflow prompted several facilities to join the SimpleLTC customer ranks.
- Texas Medicaid Coalition founded. In March, SimpleLTC worked with key Texas Medicaid experts across several companies to support the new Texas Medicaid Coalition. In just their first few months of existence, this nonprofit group has significantly expanded awareness related to Texas Medicaid reimbursement, RAI manual guidance, OIG utilization review and OIG audits.
- SimpleLTC customers report high satisfaction. In February, SimpleLTC surveyed our 2,000 customers to ask their feelings about our company, products, and customer support. We were happy to learn that they love using SimpleLTC products. We also learned some important ways we can improve our products and customer service.
- 8,000,000th MDS submitted. In February, we submitted our 8 millionth MDS assessment to CMS. As new customers continued to adopt SimpleMDS™, our volume was obviously increasing!
- New SimpleLTC website launched. In January, we launched our new SimpleLTC website to better portray our brand and to make it easier for both new and existing customers to find the information they need on regulatory compliance, reimbursement optimization and quality measurement.
What will 2014 bring? It’s hard to predict, but we do expect it to be even more exciting than last year. We’re glad to be on this journey with our awesome customers!