In mid-May of this year, I blogged about CMS announcing a call for nominations for the new contractor-led Coronavirus Commission on Safety and Quality in Nursing Homes “to help inform immediate and future responses to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) within these facilities. This independent Commission’s work will build on the Administration’s long history of decisive actions to protect nursing home residents. The Commission will conduct a comprehensive assessment of the overall response to the COVID-19 pandemic in nursing homes and will inform immediate and future actions to address the virus in order to safeguard the health and quality of life for an especially vulnerable population of Americans.”
The Commission Members were just announced by the MITRE Corporation.
- Roya Agahi, RN, MS HCM, WCC; Chief Nursing Officer, formerly of NYC Health + Hospitals, soon to be of CareRite, New York
- Lisa M. Brown, PhD, ABPP; Professor of Psychology, Palo Alto University, California
- Mark Burket, CEO, Platte Health Center Avera, South Dakota
- Eric M. Carlson, JD; Directing Attorney, Justice in Aging, California
- Michelle Dionne-Vahalik, DNP, RN; Associate Commissioner, State Health and Human Services Commission, Texas
- Debra Fournier, MSB, BSN, ANCC RN-BC, LNHA, CHD, CPHQ; COO, Veterans’ Homes, Maine
- Terry T. Fulmer, PhD, RN, FAAN; President, The John A. Hartford Foundation, New York
- Candace S. Goehring, MN, RN; Director, State Department of Social and Health Services, Aging and Long-Term Support Administration, Washington
- David C. Grabowski, PhD; Professor of Healthcare Policy, Harvard University, Massachusetts
- Camille Rochelle Jordan, RN, BSN, MSN, APRN, FNP-C, CDP; Senior Vice President of Clinical Operations & Innovations, Signature Healthcare, Kentucky
- Jessica Kalender-Rich, MD, CMD, AGSF, FAAHPM, FACP; Medical Director, Post-Acute Care, University of Kansas Health System, Kansas
- Marshall Barry Kapp, JD, MPH; Professor Emeritus of Law, Florida State University, Florida
- Morgan Jane Katz, MD, MHS; Assistant Professor of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Maryland
- Beverley L. Laubert, MA; State Long-Term Care Ombudsman, State Department of Aging, Ohio
- Rosie D. Lyles, MD, MHA, MSc, FACA; Director of Clinical Affairs, Medline Industries, Illinois
- Jeannee Parker Martin, MPH, BSN; President and CEO, LeadingAge California
- G. Adam Mayle, CHFM, CHC, CHE; Administrative Director of Facilities, Memorial Healthcare System, Florida
- David A. Nace, MD, MPH, CMD; President, AMDA – The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine, Pennsylvania
- Lori Porter, LNHA, CNA; CEO, National Association of Health Care Assistants, Missouri
- Neil Pruitt, Jr., MBA, MHA, LNHA; Chairman and CEO, PruittHealth, Inc., Georgia
- Penelope Ann Shaw, PhD; Nursing Home Resident and Advocate, Braintree Manor Healthcare, Massachusetts
- Lori O. Smetanka, JD; Executive Director, National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care, Maryland
- Janet Snipes, LNHA; Executive Director, Holly Heights Nursing Home, Colorado
- Patricia W. Stone, PhD, MPH, FAAN, RN, CIC; Professor of Health Policy in Nursing, Columbia University, New York
- Dallas Taylor, BSN, RN; Director of Nursing, Eliza Bryant Village, Ohio
The Commission will virtually convene at the beginning of June and may convene 2-3 additional times during the summer. The Commission’s work is expected to be completed by September 1, 2020.
MITRE is convening the Commission, which includes nominating and selecting members, facilitating meetings, and independently producing a final report to CMS regarding the commission’s findings and recommendations. MITRE will submit the final report to CMS on September 1, 2020.
Want to keep up with the changing COVID-19 situation in skilled nursing?